Thursday, July 28, 2005

Random Useless Knowledge Blogging

Two hundred and twenty six soldiers lost their lives in 1850 when they crossed a suspension bridge that spanned the Maine at Angers, France. It turns out that they were all marching in step and had caused an increased resonance (vibration) to the bridge. Ever since, troops are ordered to march rout step (march out of step) when crossing a bridge.

~Source: Why Some Shoes Squeak by George W. Stimpson, 1984, pg. 115

3 Comments:

At July 28, 2005 2:28 PM, Blogger BG Curator said...

I think I saw this on myth busters...

 
At July 28, 2005 4:28 PM, Blogger Neil said...

This was one of two myth busters that I have seen (thanks, Sal). As I recall, they could not find any validation for this theory using a small bridge and little robots that walked on it. Then again, this reconstruction may have been a LITTLE different than this event. :)

 
At July 28, 2005 7:12 PM, Blogger Ruth said...

Hey...way to blow my new found evidence to support my unrealistic fear of suppension bridges guys...:0( Thanks. hehehe...okay, so cable TV strikes again. I guess I can't be right all the time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home