Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Dylan...Part 2

Last night the Bob Dylan program was a full 2 hours long, only to end with "Bob Dylan: No Direction Home continued next time on American Masters."

So that's what I'm occupied with right now. What can I say. It seems rather obvious to be fasinated with someone like Bob Dylan. A living legend, lyrical genius. But to me this show is great because it's about his younger just starting out "protest singer" stage during the 60s. Although that's the Dylan that most people think of when they think of Dylan, that's not the Dylan that I got aquainted with when I learned to love him. I grew to love a much older Dylan. His "Time Out of Mind" album was the one that first made me wake up and realize that "my god - this guy is really something." Made me realize that there must be some truth to the legend of the man who was so much a part of a time before mine. But more than that, that album made it clear that this man had something to say and in doing so managed to express things that I related with. Ever since, I've just had this huge respect for him. So I guess that's that.

I read his book this winter. Bob Dylan: Chroniciles, Volume 1. Good stuff. Highly recommend it. Even if you're not much of a Dylan fan it's still an interesting read. Surprisingly, I'm kind of finding a lot of the material in this Documentary to be somewhat familiar to me thanks to that book. But there's still lots of good new knowledge about my boy Bob.

5 Comments:

At September 30, 2005 8:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I had known the show was on. Everyone says it was great.

 
At September 30, 2005 8:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was daryl, btw.

 
At September 30, 2005 9:07 PM, Blogger Ruth said...

It was pretty great. I knew it was on simply because I've had a lot of free time lately & have turned to PBS to occupy that time...an old standbye. I'm actually thinking about buying the DVD of it (but that would mean actually purchasing a DVD player first. hmmm.)

 
At October 03, 2005 2:18 PM, Blogger Shannon said...

Hey - speaking of good books - I wonder if you might have one of mine on your shelf - something about Buddism...paperback with a blue cover...I can't seem to find it, although it could be placed in any number of random boxes in the basement - take a quick lookie for me??

 
At October 03, 2005 3:42 PM, Blogger Ruth said...

I remember the one you're talking about & I'm pretty darn sure that I don't have it. I would have realized I had it the last time I re-organized my bookcase. Sorry.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home